Grand Island Harbor Rear Range Light, also known as Christmas Range Light, is located 4 miles west of Munising off of highway M-28 on the south side near the "Welcome to Christmas" sign.
The only range light in the Hiawatha National Forest, Grand Island Rear Range light is also one of the tallest towers in the area at over 62 ft. Range lights, unlike standard lighthouses, work in pairs – a front-range light and a higher rear-range light. They helped to guide mariners along a safe course through dangerous shallows of Grand Island's west channel; mariners steered their vessel so that beams from the front-range light and the rear-range light aligned to produce one beam.
Originally constructed in 1868 the wooden building that housed the light was replaced with the steel conical tower you see today in 1913. The light remained active until 1969 and became part of Hiawatha National Forest in 1977.
There are tours open to the public during the summer season, for more information check out our website at: www.fs.usda.gov/main/hiawatha, or reach out to us on our lighthouse page at: www.facebook.com/groups/HiawathaLighthouses